Narragansett Town Beach
is a classic New England Saltwater Coastal Beach front that offers some of
the best, cleanest and accessible beach conditions for the
residents and tourist in New England with attendance up to
10,000 patrons per day. Located in the center of town, the
beach offers ample parking in the North, South, West and
Cabana parking areas along with food, restrooms, first-aid
office, surfing area and a beautiful sandy beachfront. The
total beach acreage is approximately 19 acres.
SALTY BRINE STATE BEACH
ACREAGE: 1.1 Acres
DATE STATE ACQUIRED: Between 1954 and 1956
PREVIOUS OWNERS: Department of Public Works and Division of
Harbors and Rivers
OTHER NAMES: Galilee State Beach
HISTORY: Formerly known as Galilee State Beach, Salty Brine
State Beach was dedicated in 1990 to Rhode Island's most
widely recognized radio personality, Salty Brine.
The pier and surrounding area have always been heavily
utilized by fishermen, commercial and recreational, and also
by the public who enjoy watching the boats come and go all
During the Revolutionary War, British ships frequently
sailed through the natural breachway and anchored there.
After the war, the breachway became a great asset to the
farmers in the area who brought their crops by wagon to a
shoreline warehouse in the region.
As you can see, from the 1800's and on through the years,
the Galilee area has been a very valuable resource and will
continue to remain so for some time to come.
Scarborough Beach is Rhode Islandšs most popular and well
known beach. Located 35 miles south of Providence on Ocean
Road in Narragansett, it is a 26 acre facility with 2,325
feet of beach frontage.
Scarborough was originally developed in 1937. It has long
been known as the principal destination for a "day at the
beach" for thousands of Rhode Islanders over the years.
With the acquisition of Olivošs and Lidošs beaches to the
south of Scarborough, the State of Rhode Island now has an
additional 16 acres and over 1,000 feet of beach frontage
for expanding the saltwater recreational facilities at
Scarborough. After many years of use, the State in 1987,
embarked on a multiphase/multimillion dollar restoration and
redevelopment project for Scarborough, Olivošs and Lidošs.
The State of Rhode Island has one of the finest, if not, the
finest saltwater beach and recreational facility in
Southeastern New England. It is hoped that this facility
will help to maintain the positive image of Rhode Islandšs
saltwater beaches, and to continue to provide, not only to
this generation but future generations of Rhode Islanders, a
quality experience for a "day at the beach".
Scarborough State Beach with its newly renovated pavilion
and expanded beach area along with renovations to the
Olivošs and Lidošs beach areas, which are now referred to as
the Scarborough South Complex, will offer a wide range of
beach related activities. Saltwater bathing with lifeguards
on duty from 9:00 am to 6:00 pm will continue to be
Scarboroughšs biggest attraction along with picnicking, an
observation tower with scenic views and boardwalk. People of
all ages will find activities of interest from sun bathing
on Scarboroughšs sandy beach, and people watching on its
boardwalk to picnicking under shaded shelters, and saltwater
bathing in one of Rhode Islandšs most popular spots.
WHEELER STATE BEACH
ACREAGE: 27 Acres
DATE STATE ACQUIRED: 1929
PREVIOUS OWNERS: John Bull (a Tory)
ORIGIN OF NAME: The beach was renamed in grateful
remembrance in 1970 by the people of the State of Rhode
Island for Captain Roger W. Wheeler (1907-1969) who
developed the Rhode Island State Life-Saving System.
OTHER NAMES: Sand Hill Cove (prior to 1970)
DEDICATION CEREMONY: August 15, 1970
GENERAL HISTORY: The Tory and Wig Parties were in constant
conflict with Parliament in England during the American
Revolution on the mid 1700's. The two parties alternated
between power in Parliament and also in the colonies. In the
middle to late 1700's the land was confiscated by the State.
In 1935 it was transferred by the Secretary of State from
the Metropolitan Park Commission to the Department of
Agriculture and Conservation, Division of Forest, Parks and
Parkways. Then in 1949 to the Division of Parks and
Recreation and Department of Transportation. Later in 1965
it was transferred to the Department of Natural Resources
which, in 1975 became the Department of Environmental
Management. After much litigation with the heirs and with
about ninety "squatters" who had built summer homes along
the waterfront, title was finally cleared in 1943, and a
large modern bathhouse and parking facilities were
constructed between 1955 and 1956. In 1977 a 160 foot ramp
that extends from the parking lot to the beach was built for
handicapped people so that they may enjoy the beach. In 1979
another 160 foot ramp was constructed on the opposite side
of the bathhouse also to help the handicapped.
RECENT HISTORY: In October of 1996, demolition of the
"modern bathhouse" built in 1955 began, and soon after,
construction of a new facility. The new bathhouse, a $1.3
million building, was officially opened in a ribbon cutting
ceremony on June 21, 1997. Funding for the new facility came
partially through state financing and partially through the
National Park Service. Architectural designs are by William
L. Burgin, Inc., and the construction of the building was
performed by Berkshire Construction Services. The new
pavilion, which was specifically designed for ease in
maintenance, has such modern amenities as: special doors
which won't rust or corrode, aluminum and stainless steel
hardware, aluminum grates at bathhouse entrances to prevent
sand-clogged drains, heavy-duty barn like doors used to
close off sections that are not in use, modern bathhouses
with coin-operated hot showers, a playground, concession
building, lifeguard tower, and naturalist area.